Think Aloud

Moving on...new experiences, new thoughts, new hopes, and new dreams...

Thursday, February 22, 2007

I Go Back

Ok first of all...today was absolutely gorgeous. Blue sky, warm weather, chacos on my feet. That's enough for celebration if you ask me. I realized today how much I love spring (it's coming, it's coming!), and that's what I'm going to miss most while in Arizona - all four seasons. Today also made me homesick for Maine... this was like a perfect summer day in June at Popham, and I got all nostalgic thinking about it. I will find some way to get up to Popham this summer, even if it's only for a few days. I need to see my "brothers from another mother," all my scuba friends (oh poor Richard!! He's probably sick of getting short air fills... ALL BECAUSE OF ME!), and the rest of my favorite summer family. I'm putting pictures at the bottom...

Anyway, so the weather made me really happy... until my meeting with my independent study advisor. I was going to ask him if we could discuss this week's readings (Fatelessness and This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen, along with Night) outside, but he beat me to the punch, suggesting it himself. So out we went. We, however, apparently had different things in mind... whereas I wanted to sit, pull out my notes, and chat about the texts, he wanted to walk. I swear, we circled the campus twice. Granted it was really nice, but I felt like an idiot walking around and shuffling my notes, trying to carry on a somewhat intelligent sounding conversation. Anyway, I get to read Primo Levi for next week, which is exciting- I've been looking for an excuse to read his books. Professor Smith suggested Survival in Auschwitz. The thing about this independent study is that my weekly assignments are based on what I bring up in our discussion. This week I was really focused on what happens when victims become perps... so now I'm reading Levi's book as well as "The Grey Zone," an essay by him on that very subject. It's really nice to have all this freedom, but we're not following the proposal AT ALL... so I'm interested to see where this goes. I'm a little nervous about tying everything together in a final paper, and when I brought that up today, Smith shrugged it off saying that we're "not going to worry about that." What does that mean?! Does it mean that we're not going to worry about that yet? (Because clearly I've already started.) Or does it mean that we're not going to worry about that EVER? (I think I like this option best.) Whatever, I'll figure it out next week!

Popham.....One of my favorite pictures... taken from Portland Head after a successful dive with JJ

Wood Island with the Pond lighthouse in the background (view from the beach)

Navigating the frigid (54 degree) waters

This is normal if you live with a lobsterman (right side of the fridge)

My favorite lobster boat in the background, the Percy Queen. I went lobstering with Uncle Jack and Richard two years ago for the first and last time. Let's just say I don't have the ability to be a lobsterwoman... you can probably guess why.

Ahh, the memories!

1 Comments:

  • At Tue Feb 27, 10:59:00 PM 2007, Blogger Julia said…

    Hey Kelley -

    I added a link to your blog in a last minute effort to add some links to my blog. I hope this is ok and I hope yours is going well. Good luck with the paper!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home